Wednesday, March 16, 2011

What I'm Reading...and Learning

Last month I went to a book study with some local Catholic homeschooling mommies.  My plan is to invade their every event, so that they will be forced to befriend me.  This, of course, will eliminate my worry of being friendless come this Fall.  Thank goodness some of  my close friends are taking this journey with me.  What a trip we have in store for us! 

Back to the book study...I love that they focus on reading wonderful Catholic books.  This month they chose to read Courageous Generosity by Stacy Mitch.  I've only managed to make it through the first little chapter and answer the first set of questions, but I'm excited about where the book is headed.  She gives us the example of our beloved Mother Teresa who was the truest example of courage and generosity.  We're reminded that not everyone is called to travel to the poorest areas of the world.

Romans 12:6-8 reads:
Since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us exercise them: if prophecy, in proportion to the faith; if ministry, in ministering; if one is a teacher, in teaching;  if one exhorts, in exhortation; if one contributes, in generosity; if one is over others, with diligence; if one does acts of mercy, with cheerfulness.

Again, I'm not sure where the book is heading.  But this individual chapter helped me see again the ministry that I feel God has called me to.  It also helped me to examine my weaknesses in this ministry.  When looking at the world, folding laundry and cleaning toilets seem pretty ridiculous and without meaning.  To my family, these acts are important and necessary.  There are many days when I would (and do) prefer to be napping, reading, or watching more TV than humanly possible.  For some reason, I haven't figured out how to peruse Facebook, watch The Bachelor, and do laundry all at the same time.  In these moments, I need to make better choices.  I have to force myself to see how the serving of my husband and children is also an act in my ministry and ultimately a way to serve our Lord. 

Today, I will be better.  I will sacrifice my Facebook perusing and, in the words of Father Corapi, "offer it up!"

No comments: