Friday, March 11, 2011

Chronicles of a soon-to-be homeschooling mom...v1

A few days ago, I posted about what a worrier I am.  Well, on top of that wonderful trait, I also happen to be horribly stubborn.  When I get something in my head that I think is right, it's right until completely proven otherwise.  And even then, I'm not one to bow out graciously.  I'll find some way to blame someone else for my being wrong.  Not very Christian-like, I know.  It's definitely something I need to work on.

Because of this horrible trait, I was shocked to find that someone (someoneS) were able to open my eyes to something that I earlier had completely discarded as being an option.  These someones were absolutely being used by God to allow me to see beyond my own stubbornness.  God is just awesome!

Let me explain!  I had finally decided that we were going to be a Seton homeschooling family come this Fall.  The curriculum was familiar to me.  It mirrors exactly how and what my children are being taught in the Catholic school they attend now.  I was absolutely positive that this program would be the best, because it would be an easy transition for us all.  But for some reason, this classical method kept popping up all around me.  It seemed that everyone I talked to was using it as a way of teaching their children.  I looked into it briefly, and decided it just wasn't for me.  First off, I had no desire to try and piecemeal a curriculum together.  I'm just starting off, people!  I need S.I.M.P.L.E.!  Secondly, a classical curriculum was completely foreign to me, and let's face it...sometimes you (or maybe it's just me) tend to be a little prejudice toward the unknown.

Last night, the few friends and I who have to decided to homeschool next year met with three ladies who shared their experience with us.  They are the type of women who make you feel at ease within seconds of meeting them.  They radiate peace and are filled with wisdom.  These women shared the classical homeschooling curriculum with us.  By the end, we were hooked!  It is an amazingly beautiful way to teach, and I am so excited that my children will experience it.

This was a lesson learned for me.  I finally was able to let go of my stubbornness and my ignorant prejudices and allow myself to be open to hear what was being presented to me.    It usually doesn't feel good to be wrong, but this time it felt great!

Thank you, Lord, for allowing me to look outside of my own world
and discover something beautiful. 
Thank you for using those around me as your instruments
to be my guide as I journey through the unknown. 
I pray that I will continue to keep my eyes and heart open
to all that You have in store for me.

No comments: