Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The circle of life...

It has been a joyous and heartbreaking two days.  It's amazing how in just a short 24 hours you can experience such extremely different emotions.  It's hard as well to understand how God can have a hand in both events.  One so beautiful and wonderful and another filled with grief and doubt.

I drove to Tuscaloosa yesterday afternoon.  For the first time in ages, I had the car all to myself.  I said two rosaries during that drive.  One for a baby about to be born and another for a baby who had just been called to Heaven.  I found it comforting that the prayer I prayed for both was basically the same...for God to be with each of them and bless them for eternity. 

I've never lost a child, though I've had three.  Hubby and I call them ours.  Our Zep, our Bright Eyes, our Sunshine.  And the beautiful baby who entered the world yesterday will be her parents "our" as well.  But today as I sat in the back of a church filled with people, things suddenly came into reality for me.  There sat this tiny casket containing the body of a baby who never experienced a breath in this earthly world.  Her parents surely will and had called her "our".  Yet, God decided that it was her time to come home. 

Today, and hopefully every day, I want to remember to praise our Lord for allowing me to be an earthly parent to three amazing children.  I want to ask Him for strength, courage, and wisdom to guide them in the way He would desire.  Because ultimately our children are His.  Our babies, they were never ours to begin with.  He could call them home any day.  As much as that thought brings me to my knees, I have to allow myself to trust my God and be thankful for every second He's allowed me to have with them.  But most importantly, I have to hold on to the knowledge that we will all dance in Heaven again some day.

In Christ, there are no goodbyes
And in Christ, there is no end
So I'll hold onto Jesus with all that I have
To see you again
- Mercy Me

No comments: